Who are we?
The NMHS Band & Color Guard Parents is a non-profit, fund-raising organization. We are managed entirely by volunteers and supported by the generous contributions from our sponsors and individuals in our community.
The NMHS Band & Color Guard Parents organization was formed to be a link between parents and the New Milford High School music program. Today, our goal has expanded to support the band and color guard programs and students as they explore and display their talents as performers.
- 2004: Group founded by Pat and Larry Lieberman
- 2004 - 2006: Larry Lieberman, President
- 2006 - 2007: Todd Zimmerman, President
- 2007 - 2012: Dr. Chris Carlone, President
- 2012 - Present: Jeff Vill, President
Band Parents Organization Bylaws
NEW MILFORD HIGH SCHOOL BAND PARENTS
ARTICLE I: NAME
The name of this organization shall be “The New Milford High School Band Parents”; hereinafter, referred to as the organization.
ARTICLE II: PURPOSE
The purpose of this organization shall be to provide membership-approved support to the New Milford High School Band (which includes, but is not limited to: marching band, concert band, jazz band, wind ensemble, orchestra, drum line, color guard, and winter guard and their activities) and promote a cost-effective program for all participants in a fiscally-responsible manner.
ARTICLE III: MEMBERSHIP
Parents or guardians of the organization are eligible for membership. Each member shall be entitled to one vote. A vote must be cast in person or by paper ballot. No email voting shall be accepted.
ARTICLE IV: OFFICERS
The officers of this organization shall be President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer and Band Director. These officers shall make up the executive board of the organization. Each officer shall commit to a 2-year term and must have a child in the program for both years.
The Executive board shall have general jurisdiction and supervision of all activities of the organization, and shall authorize all funds paid out.
- Shall preside over general membership meetings, executive meetings and special meetings.
- Shall prepare an agenda for each meeting with the prescribed order of business.
- Shall conduct meetings in an orderly and fair fashion according to Robert’s Rules of Order.
- Shall call special meetings if deemed necessary.
- Shall present to the general membership, for their approval, recommendations of Committee Chairpersons or Co-Chairs.
- Shall be an ex-officio member of all committees.
- Shall be the liaison between the organization and the band director.
- Shall, along with the Treasurer, be an authorized signer on all bank accounts the organization may maintain.
- Shall assume the duties of the President in his/her temporary absence.
- Shall be assigned duties as delegated by the President including but not limited to;
- Shall research and present all fundraising opportunities to the board for their consideration and oversee said fundraising subcommittee(s).
- Shall oversee the uniform distribution committee.
- Shall receive all funds due and money raised by the organization, and deposit such funds.
- Shall, along with the President, be an authorized signer on all bank accounts the organization may maintain.
- Shall maintain all appropriate financial records. A monthly report shall be presented at each executive board and regular meeting. This report shall include a profit & loss statement of all recently completed fundraising activities
- Shall be responsible for the timely filing of all state and federal reports of the organization, to be prepared by an independent accounting firm.
- Shall, upon request, make available to any member, the record(s) of any member(s) handling funds, at a reasonable time and place.
- Shall attend to all correspondence of the organization and shall keep the records and minutes of all meetings of the organization.
- Shall maintain, in a permanent file, an accurate membership list of all organization members and members in attendance at all regular and special meetings.
- Shall keep on file all committee reports.
- Shall notify members and the public of meetings and membership-approved activities of the organization.
- Shall be an ex-officio member of all committees.
- Shall present the budget for the upcoming year at the May meeting.
- Shall, in all matters regarding the students and school district, have sole and final decision making authority.
ARTICLE VI: ELECTION OF OFFICERS
- At the April meeting a Nomination Committee of two members shall be appointed.
- The committee shall accept nominations for offices to be filled and present a slate in writing to the organization, one week prior to the general May meeting.
- Elections will be held at the May meeting where additional nominations will be taken from the floor. Election will be by majority vote and by secret ballot.
- The term of office for newly elected officers shall begin July 1. No officer shall hold more than one office at a time.
- Officers shall be elected for two years. Interim vacancies shall be filled by a special election for the duration of the term
- As soon as possible after the May meeting and before July 1, a meeting of the outgoing and newly-elected board members shall be held for the purpose of transferring records to the new Band Parents board.
- Spouses may not hold executive board offices during the same term.
- Each member shall be entitled to one vote. A vote may be cast in person or by a written paper ballot. No email voting shall be accepted.
- The President shall abstain from voting unless a tie-breaking vote is required to elect a nominee to a specific office.
ARTICLE VII: MEETINGS:
- Executive board meetings will be held on the 2nd Tuesday of every month. Any general member wishing to attend shall notify the President and should state nature his/her business.
- General membership meetings will be held on the 3rd Tuesday of every month, except July, and are open to all members.
- The basic agenda shall be as follows:
- Reading of minutes
- Presentation of Treasurer’s Report
- Presentation of Committee Reports
- Band Director’s Report
- Old Business
- New Business
- Any other business that may be brought before the Organization.
- It shall be the duty of the Executive Board to permit and approve any and all uses of the New Milford High School Band Parents seal, name or logo.
ARTICLE VIII: COMMITTEES:
- Committees can be added, deleted, or changed at any general membership meeting.
- Such modifications would be considered as part of the normal course of conducting business in the interest and spirit of the organization.
- The budget committee shall consist of the executive board and shall meet in the spring.
ARTICLE IX: SCHOLARSHIPS:
- Scholarships awarded are based upon available funding, as determined by the Executive board and Band Director.
- The Band Director has sole responsibility for selection of scholarship recipients.
- Senior scholarships will be distributed at the last concert of the school year.
ARTICLE X: AMENDMENTS OF BY-LAWS:
- Amendments of these by-laws shall be approved by a two-thirds majority of the general membership present at a regular meeting.
- Proposed amendments and scheduled voting date shall be presented to the general membership in writing at least two weeks prior to the voting date.
- Every two years in March, these by laws will be reviewed and updated as needed.
ARTICLE X: PARLIAMENTARY PROCEDURE:
- In all questions of parliamentary procedure not already covered in these bylaws
Robert’s Rules of Order shall prevail.